Thursday, February 4, 2010

Scatter-brained week

This week was pretty crazy. A small project was due on Tuesday for studio. It went well considering I didn't start final production until Monday since I went to San Gimignano and the outlet mall over the weekend. I did finish though, and did get some sleep. Today, our professor went over our projects with us which went good, too. I'm looking forward to the rest of the semester and the next project. We get to design a library for an existing university, along with some other programs, like a cafe and such.

Also, this week we found out we had to go to the police station to obtain our stay permit. Finding out Tuesday, my day to go was yesterday - Wednesday. There was a group of about 30 or so that had to go at once. Our appointment was at 7:45 A.M. They did not start finger printing our group until 10:45 A.M. I was last. To say the least, I missed the class that I absolutely love and wasted five hours of my life. The place was crazy full of people trying to stay here, whether they were students or just people trying to live here. Oh, and the best part - I get to go back in a month and do it all over again just to receive my card, HOORAY!

I have seen so many Riley's since I've been here. Both days going to class this week, I saw a black lab puppy...cutest thing ever! It reminded me of the day I first saw Riley. I don't think I've mentioned this yet but Italians - especially Florentines - treat their dogs like humans. They are almost always wearing clothes, some in leather - yes leather - coats, and they are allowed to go into every store. It's awesome because they are everywhere, but it makes me miss my dogs :(

Pretty much everyday of the week, me and a few friends make family style dinners. We've had very good meals too - baked ziti, humongous steaks, chicken parm, and different pastas with homemade sauces. Yesterday was my day to cook and I decided to go Mexican since you can't find it anywhere in Florence. I make my own salsa, and seasoned the ground beef and chicken with my own concoction. It was pretty hard to get a spicy flavor since they have like no hot peppers anywhere, and taco seasoning packets don't exist. But it turned out pretty well and everyone seemed to like it. The salsa, I have to say, was freaking good - so fresh since I bought all the veggies fresh from the market. It's going to be weird going back to the states and going to the grocery store. I'm really getting used to shopping daily for dinner and always getting really fresh foods - with no preservatives. It's like a luxury almost that I'm definitely going to miss.

Well tomorrow I'm headed to Naples and Pompeii. I'm so excited! We are planning on climbing Mount Vesuvius, which I'm really looking forward to. We are only staying Friday and Saturday so it will be a lot of running around, but hey it's a once in a lifetime experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment