Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Perspective.


Milan gave me a completely different perspective of Italy. Finally modern buildings and modern design! Something I've appreciated so much in every other country but could never find it here. I know where it's hiding now. This trip was with my school. They take us there at this time of the year because it's when Milan hosts it's annual Design/Furniture Expo--freaking awesome. Probably the coolest thing that I've been too, and the coolest thing that Kent has suggested to us - which isn't really that hard to beat, we've been to some really stupid things.

The Expo is in a sweet building, first off. Secondly, it is a mile and a half long! There were 26 different show rooms - most dedicated to a specific area: kitchen, bathroom, furniture, even technology for the kitchen. We were able to get to all of these and the satellite area, where young designers have a showcase where they can do whatever they please with. There was definitely a lot that we didn't get to - we only had one day of about 6 hours to wander around. Because of this expo, there were a lot of people there and a lot of other things going on in the city. Apparently there was a music festival, but I never found it unfortunately.

The Milan Cathedral is absolutely amazing. So decorative, tall, and Gothic! There isn't another "Gothic" cathedral in Italy, because they didn't like the style - only "Italian Gothic" which is pretty much just pointed arches on a Renaissance building. It was cool to finally see one - it's one of my favorite styles of Architecture, so interesting. I plan on seeing the Notre Dame in Paris and some other Gothic cathedrals when I go after the semester is over. Unfortunately, though, I did not get to climb the cathedral. It was suggested to me, and I really wanted to, but lovely Kent did not give us time when it was open to get up there. Instead, they gave us free time on some back alley road where we couldn't find anything to do - can you tell I've been frustrated with this class? Good thing it was our last trip.

Other than the Design Expo and the Cathedral, we really didn't see much. The fortress and some other churches that you can see anywhere else in this country - as you can tell it gets old to see all of them over and over again...

I'm so pumped about this weekend. Tomorrow [in only a few hours at 3:30 am], I am headed to Munich, Germany for Springfest! You have no idea how much I've wanted to get to Germany. I have had this trip planned since the first week we got here. It is so late in the semester because this is when Springfest - a mini Octoberfest - is held there. I'm quite excited to drink some good German beer and eat some Weiner Schnizel and of course a Brat or too! We are planning on seeing the Olympic Park, and possibly the BMW Museum and Hitler's Eagle's Nest. The only thing that can hold me back now is the stupid volcano. All of the airports have been closed until yesterday because of the ash in the air. However, the started to fly again and nothing - that I have heard of - has crashed, so we should be okay. I've been joking with some friends about us getting stranded there, but in reality I kind of hope I do - I would not mind at all if I got stuck in Germany! But, I just hope that our plane doesn't go down - please say a few prayers for us! Oh, and by the way - since when did it get to be April 22nd?! Where are these days going! Before you know it I'm going to be home wishing I was back here - but definitely happy to be home at the same time. I'll keep you updated when I get back - if I do ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment