Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pisa and It's Leaning Tower


Pisa is awesome. First of all it was a gorgeous day in Italy today, especially in Pisa. Sunny and in the high 50's. The morning started out rough when we went to the self ticket booth and the machine ate a 5 euro bill :( - I guess it was good it was only a 5... but the train ride was a very cool experience, first time I've ever rode a train before, at least I think. Very pretty the entire way, lots of mountains, villages, and vineyards. When we got to Pisa, it was a trek to the cathedral, tower and baptistry, but it was nice because then I got to see the whole city. The ever-so pretty Arno River runs through Pisa as well, so there were some nice water shots.

The leaning tower is pretty amazing. I went ahead and splurged on the 15 euro pass to go up the tower for a half hour and I don't regret it at all! It was the coolest thing ever, very trippy to walk up though. The stairs are about as wide as one maybe two people, and obviously since it's leaning, it feels like your walking down stairs when really your walking up. Or you fall to the side a little, which is what I did. Also, when you get up to the bell level, there are three stairs and a railing on the first step. Well when your on the third step, your above the railing so I'm pretty sure if you were to trip and fall you would just literally fall right off the tower. To say the least, I had to stay on the first stair and grab the freaking railing because I seriously thought I was going to fall. It was scary! There is one more floor, though, which is where all of it is worth it. Beautiful. Mountains on one side and Pisa on the other. A terrific view of the cathedral too. If any one has the chance to get to Pisa and the tower is actually open, CLIMB IT! It is way worth it!

I also was able to go inside the church, since it was free, which was exquisite. All the frescos were still on the walls and it was just jaw-dropping. I literally walked in and was awe-strucken - if thats even a word. I'll be putting pictures up on fb sometime soon, when I get the chance. I really can't even describe it. There were just so many things going on and so many little details everywhere that made it so pretty.

It's unbelievable how much was accomplished back then, and how much money was put into these extraordinary buildings. It makes me realize how advanced they were back then. Me and a friend were talking about the 'what-ifs' if Rome's empire hadn't fallen. I feel like we would really be the futuristic space ships and all that if they were still in power today. But I guess that's another story that no one will ever know, just something cool to consider and think about.

Overall, Pisa is definitely something to experience and can for sure be done in a day. There isn't much beyond the cathedral and it's tower. I never went inside the baptistry, which I hear is very beautiful itself. Didn't have the money since I got jipped at the train station and then had to pay 15 for the tower. I'm definitely not disappointed though. Awesome experience and awesome architecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment