Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Siena é una cittá meravigliosa.


Siena is probably the most gorgeous and authentic city I have ever been to. It is so picturesque with its windy roads and steep hills. Almost every road has one of those little romantic restaurants with two person tables, flowers in the middle, and an arbor with pretty vines over top. On some of the roads there are archways that make it very romantic as well. Oh, and all the apartments have those fenced in windows with flowers or some type of plant growing from the extended sill. Beautiful.

The Cathedrale di Santa Maria is ridiculous. First of all, the part that exists was only supposed to be the apse. The church was not completely built due to financial reasons. Some aspects that were built though, like one of the aisles and the front entrance, so you can see exactly what it was intended to be. It would have been tremendous. I did go inside for mass, obviously no pictures were allowed – unfortunately. The inside is marvelous, so pretty. So much detail was put into the church. Apparently the money that they couldn’t use for the rest of the church was used to make inside as elaborate as possible.

Well, other than my long day in Sienna, I haven’t been doing too much. Last week everyone was getting sick so now it’s my week. Today, I’m feeling very miserable, blowing my nose about every 5 seconds – which made classes not fun at all. Hopefully I get better, I’m trying to go to Turin for a day or two this weekend, but probably won’t if I feel like this.

Good news, however, I booked some flights.. one to Munich for Springfest - not until April 23rd - and one to Bratislava - Feb 10th - where we will be going to Vienna as well. Really excited to see what's outside of Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment